How to travel from Bangkok to Ho Chi Minh city
Are you planning a trip from Bangkok to Ho Chi Minh city? This bustling metropolis in Vietnam is known for its rich history, vibrant culture, and delicious food. Whether you’re traveling for business or pleasure, there are several options for getting from Bangkok to Ho Chi Minh city. In this blog post, we’ll explore the different modes of transportation and provide tips for a smooth journey.
How to travel from Bangkok to Ho Chi Minh city?
There are three main ways to travel from Bangkok to Ho Chi Minh city: by flight, bus/minivan, or train + bus. Each option has its own advantages and disadvantages, so it’s important to consider your budget, time constraints, and personal preferences before making a decision.
1. Flight from Bangkok to Ho Chi Minh City
The fastest and most convenient way to travel from Bangkok to Ho Chi Minh city is by flight. There are multiple airlines that offer direct flights between the two cities, with a flight time of approximately 1 hour and 45 minutes. Some popular airlines include Thai Airways, Vietnam Airlines, and AirAsia.
When booking your flight, be sure to compare prices and check for any additional fees such as baggage charges. It’s also a good idea to book in advance to secure the best deals. The main airport in Bangkok is Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK), while Ho Chi Minh city has two airports – Tan Son Nhat International Airport (SGN) and Long Thanh International Airport (LTS). Most flights from Bangkok will arrive at SGN, which is located about 6km from the city center.
2. Bus/Minivan from Bangkok to Ho Chi Minh City (via Phnom Penh)
If you’re looking for a more budget-friendly option, taking a bus or minivan from Bangkok to Ho Chi Minh city is a popular choice. The journey takes approximately 24 hours and involves crossing the border into Cambodia before reaching Vietnam. This option is ideal for travelers who have more time to spare and want to experience different countries along the way.
There are several bus companies that offer this route, with prices ranging from $25 to $35 USD. Some of the popular companies include Giant Ibis, Mekong Express, and Virak Buntham. It’s recommended to book your ticket in advance, especially during peak travel seasons.
3. Train + Bus from Bangkok to Ho Chi Minh City (via Poipet Phnom Penh)
Another option for traveling from Bangkok to Ho Chi Minh city is by taking a train and then a bus. This route involves taking a train from Bangkok to the border town of Poipet, then crossing the border into Cambodia and taking a bus to Ho Chi Minh city via Phnom Penh. The total journey time is around 18 hours.
The train ride from Bangkok to Poipet takes approximately 6 hours and costs around $20 USD. From Poipet, you can take a bus to Phnom Penh, which takes around 4-5 hours and costs around $10 USD. From Phnom Penh, you can then take another bus to Ho Chi Minh city, which takes around 6-7 hours and costs around $15 USD.
2. Do you need to apply for a Vietnam visa?
Before traveling to Ho Chi Minh city, it’s important to check if you need to apply for a Vietnam visa. Citizens of certain countries may be exempt from obtaining a visa for a short stay, while others will need to apply for a visa in advance.
1. Check Vietnam visa requirement
To check if you need a visa for Vietnam, you can visit the official website of the Vietnam Embassy or use an online visa checker. Some countries that are exempt from obtaining a visa for a short stay (less than 15 days) include Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, and Indonesia. However, if you plan to stay longer or have a different nationality, it’s best to check the requirements beforehand.
2. How to apply Vietnam visa in Bangkok?
To apply for a Vietnam visa in Bangkok, you can follow these ways:
Apply Vietnam visa at Embassy
You can follow these steps:
- Gather the required documents: You will need your passport (with at least six months of validity remaining), a completed visa application form, a recent passport-sized photo, and the visa fee in cash (Thai Baht).
- Visit the Embassy of Vietnam in Bangkok: The address is 83/1 Wireless Road, Lumpini, Pathumwan, Bangkok 10330. It is advisable to call or check their website for the working hours and any additional requirements beforehand.
- Submit your application: Arrive at the embassy during working hours and submit your completed application along with the necessary documents mentioned above. You may be asked to fill out additional forms or provide additional documents, so it’s best to be prepared.
- Pay the visa fee: Pay the required visa fee in cash at the embassy. The fee may vary depending on the type of visa you are applying for and your nationality. It is recommended to check the embassy’s website for the current fees.
- Obtain the visa: After submitting your application and paying the fee, you will be given a receipt. The visa processing time may vary, but it usually takes a few days. You can return to the embassy on the specified date to collect your passport with the visa.
Note: It’s always a good idea to check the official website or contact the Embassy of Vietnam in Bangkok directly for the latest and most accurate information regarding visa application requirements, procedures, and fees.
Apply Vietnam e-Visa online
To apply for a Vietnam e-visa, you can follow these steps:
- Visit the official website of the Vietnam Immigration Department.
- Fill out the required personal information such as your full name, nationality, date of birth, passport details, and intended travel dates.
- Upload a scanned copy of your passport’s biographic page. Make sure your passport is valid for at least six months from the date of entry.
- Provide additional information such as your planned entry and exit points in Vietnam, purpose of your visit, and your contact details.
- Pay the e-visa processing fee using the available payment methods on the website. The fee may vary, so make sure to check the current fee during your application.
- Submit your application and wait for the processing time, which is typically stated on the website. It usually takes a 4-6 working days.
- Once approved, you will receive an e-visa approval letter via email. Download and print this letter.
- When entering Vietnam, present your e-visa approval letter, along with your passport and any other required documents, to the immigration officers at the port of entry.
Tips when traveling from Bangkok to Ho Chi Minh
Now that you know the different ways to travel from Bangkok to Ho Chi Minh city, here are some tips to make your journey smoother:
- Book your transportation in advance, especially during peak travel seasons.
- Pack light if you’re taking a bus or minivan, as there may be limited space for luggage.
- Bring snacks and water for the journey, as it can be a long trip.
- Make sure to have your passport and necessary documents with you at all times.
- Be aware of scams at the border crossings and only use reputable companies for transportation.
- Check the weather forecast before your trip and pack accordingly.
- Familiarize yourself with the currency exchange rates and have enough local currency on hand for your journey.
Traveling from Bangkok to Ho Chi Minh city offers a variety of options, each with its own pros and cons. Whether you choose to fly, take a bus or train, it’s important to plan ahead and consider your budget, time constraints, and personal preferences. Additionally, make sure to check the visa requirements and have all necessary documents before embarking on your journey. With these tips in mind, you’ll be well-prepared for an enjoyable trip from Bangkok to Ho Chi Minh city.